BLYNKEN WADE POTTERIES VINTAGE NURSERY RHYME FIGURINES
PAIR OF NURSERY RHYME BLYNKEN POTTERY CHARACTER FIGURINES BY WADE POTTERIES, WADE, HEATH & CO. LTD. ENGLAND, CIRCA 1957
Click Image to Enlarge
These Little Blynken Boys Are Indeed A Treasure that Is Worthy Of A Great Wade Collection!
NOTE: This pair of figurines is sold only as a pair. Rarity and the therein described damages have been taken into consideration while establishing a fair market price.
HISTORY OF WADE, HEATH & CO. (LTD)
This pottery and porcelain company began at the High Street Works 1927 and operated at this location until 1938 at which time it operated at the Royal Victoria Pottery from 1938 onwards.
Wade, Heath & Co is renowned for its production of Art Deco nursery ware typified by a Walt Disney range of characters that are extremely collectable at present.
The original pottery was formed by Henry Hallam in 1810 to produce ceramic industrial fittings. The company then moved to Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, England, in the middle of the nineteenth century and was taken over by George Wade in the beginnings of the twentieth century.
The history of Wade began in 1867 when brothers Joseph and John Wade with a business associate by the name of Myott began a small pottery at 50 and 52 Hall Street, Burslem. The new works backed onto the Royal Victoria Pottery, and then was more modestly called Hill Works, which was inhabited by Morgan Wood & Co. and was later to be the home of Wade Heath & Co. But the first Wade company was on a very much smaller scale.
From this embryonic company grew a much larger company and later, group of companies. From John and Joseph's original company, John's son, George (1825 - 1892) inherited the company which later passed to his son, also George (1864 - 1938) who was the father of Sir George Wade (1891 - 1986). George (later Sir George) Wade joined his fathers company in 1905 which at the time had just acquired the firm (and rival) of Henry Hallen and the Manchester Pottery. Having taken an active part in the First War and age 26, when George returned to the company in 1919, it was renamed from George Wade & Co to George Wade & Son Ltd.
As early as 1935, Wade, Heath & Co Ltd. was commissioned by Walt Disney himself to make figurines of Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Horse collar. Series of Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Donald Duck, and Pinocchio Nursery Ware were also produced. In 1939, Wade made a cellulose figure of the Disney character Hiawatha. The Disney association continued with the Hatbox Series and Blow-Ups and Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs 1956-65. The Snow White set and Disney minis were remade, with additions and mold changes, from 1981 to 1985.
ITEM NUMBER: PFTP001201 BUY THIS ITEM
BUY THIS ITEM
To purchase this item, please make note of the Item Number: PFTP001201 and contact us using our order form or call us at 1-416-535-3883.
Click Image to Enlarge