A BRIEF HISTORY OF WEDGWOOD

By: John Hogan

The first Wedgwood factory was early as 1600. It was established by Thomas Wedgwood in Burslem, Staffordshire, England.

WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE TEA SERVICE, C.1900-20

WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE TEA SERVICE

WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE TEAPOT, CIRCA 1900-1920

WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE TEA POT

WEDGWOOD NEST OF 5 BONE CHINA PLATTERS, C. 1890-1900

WEDGWOOD BONE CHINA PLATTERS

WEDGWOOD BONE CHINA PLATTER (ONE OF SET) C. 1890-1900

WEDGWOOD BONE CHINA PLATTER



In 1906, a Wedgwood china museum was established at the Etruria pottery. A new factory was built at nearby Barlaston in 1940, and the museum was moved to and expanded at this location. The Etruria works was closed in 1950. During the 1960s and 1970s, Wedgwood acquired many English potteries, including William Adams & Sons, Coalport, Susie Cooper, Crown Staffordshire, Johnson Brothers, Mason's Ironstone, J. & G. Meakin, Midwinter Companies, Precision Studios, and Royal Tuscan.

If we know Wedgwood, we are aware that Wedgwood always was held in high esteem by British royalty and always graced their palaces. Wedgwood items were always prestigious and were commissioned by royalty to be permanent displays throughout their castles/palaces. Whether items be displayed in curio cabinets, on buffets, on hall tables or on dining room tables, Wedgwood objects were visually eminent. In the royal households, it is not uncommon to feast ones eyes upon a great Wedgwood dinner service either on the dining room table or in an open hutch proudly on display for personal enjoyment or for the enjoyment of their guests.

Today the Wedgwood Group still retains the same reputation for quality and is still associated with the affluent and elite of society. Design is an essential factor. Wedgwood Group companies are served by a large, highly qualified, and experience team of designers and modelers, supplemented by contributions from eminent contemporary artists.

Recent Articles

CAMBRIDGE GLASS AND ITS BEAUTY AS A HIGH-END DEPRESSION GLASS

CAMBRIDGE GLASS CARMEN COLOR FLYING LADY BOWL, CIRCA 1931

The Cambridge Glass Company was founded in Cambridge, Ohio in 1901 and first produced glass in...

NEW IN STORE ARRIVALS OF COLORED GLASS JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS!

Now that the festive season is once again upon us, we have an array of ruby red, blue and cobalt...

Featured Products

LEEDSWARE KING GEO. III & IV ANTIQUE ROYALTY CREAMER

LEEDS WARE, QUEENSWARE, CREAMWARE OR PEARLWARE KING GEORGE III & KING GEORGE IV ROYALTY CREAMER,...

ROYAL WORCESTER 1776 BICENTENNIAL BONE CHINA PLATE

Royal Worcester England American Historical 1776 Bicentennial Bone China Plate 10 3/4" Diameter,...

Sherman Vintage Rhinestone Wreath Brooch

Signed Sherman Canada Green & Blue Vintage Rhinestone Wreath Brooch 1 1/2" Diameter, Circa 1950

Antique & Vintage Lighting

ITALIAN GILDED CAST IRON CORINTHIAN COLUMN VINTAGE TABLE LAMP

A great decorator lamp that deserves a grandiose environment!

MODERNISM GREEN STRIPE VINTAGE ART POTTERY LAMP [SOLD]

Great Quality! Modernism in style, this Vintage Art Pottery Lamp is well manufactured and can most...

Antique & Vintage Furniture

ANTHES BAETZ FRENCH PROVINCIAL WALNUT VINTAGE CAPTAIN CHAIRS [SOLD]

Pair of French Provincial style Vintage Walnut Captain's Chairs with cabriole legs. Possibly...

GINGERBREAD GOLDEN OAK VINTAGE DISPLAY CABINET [SOLD]

This magnificent Golden Oak & Triple Mirror Display Cabinet was custom built during the early...

© Passionforthepastantiques.com
1646 Queen St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6R 1B2
Phone:416-535-3883

Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Site Map

By accessing this site, or by using any of its features or services, you confirm your
agreement with and acceptance of the Terms of Service for this web site.