BISHOP & STONIER ANTIQUE TRANSFERWARE PLATTER BEXLEY PATTERN

BISHOP & STONIER STAFFORDSHIRE ENGLISH BROWN AND WHITE TRANSFERWARE BEXLEY PATTERN IMPERIAL SEMI PORCELAIN PLATTER 16 LENGTH X 12 3/4" WIDTH, CIRCA 1899-1914



Click Image to Enlarge




The pattern is a beautiful Art Nouveau design of petite roses and garlands with six large roses alternating. The cartouche mark according to Geoffrey Godden ran from 1899-1936.

However, this platter has impressed numbers indicating possible production could have been 1914 (impressed # 14 on back) or earlier. This platter would have to be much earlier than 1936 because the medium is actually ironstone although it is stamped "Imperial Semi Porcelain".

COMMENT: A Fantastic Late Victorian Art Nouveau Serving Platter! Ideal For Any Entertaining Occasion!

CONDITION: Excellent! Great quality transfer! There are no fork or knife scratches. There are no chips, cracks nor stains! There is no restoration!

HISTORY OF BISHOP & STONIER POTTERY COMPANY: Bishop and Stonier Partnerships: Key dates:

1851 - 1866 Livesley Powell & Co. Old Hall Lane & Miles Bank, Hanley.

1867 - 1878 Powell & Bishop. Parliament Row & Stafford Street Works, Hanley.

1878 - 1891 Powell, Bishop & Stonier. Stafford Street Works, Hanley.

1891 - 1933 Bishop & Stonier, Various addresses, Hanley.

1933 - 1939 George Jones & Sons bought the company and continued use of the Bisto trade mark.

In 1891 Duncan Watson Bishop and John Stonier formed a partnership in Hanley, Staffordshire and continued in business until 1939. Prior to this, in 1845 the Bishop family were partnership with Livesley Powell & Co. It was formed in 1845 by William Livesley, Edwin Powell and Frederick Bishop. The Livesley families were potters in Hanley; Edwin Powell was a potter who had been apprenticed at Dimmocks of Hanley; and Frederick Bishop was a lawyer providing financial support to the venture. Livesley Powell produced a variety of bodies including china, parian, and ironstone china and used transfer printing. They are reported to have exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition.

In 1866 William Livesley retired and the partnership became known as Powell and Bishop. In 1876, Powell and Bishop exhibited at the Philadelphia Exhibition.

In 1878 Powell and Bishop were joined by John Stonier. In 1880, Powell, Bishop and Stonier registered a new trademark to accompany their ivory or cream colored earthenware. This shows a seated Chinaman under a sunshade or umbrella containing the words ORIENTAL IVORY - their name for the earthenware body. This oriental ivory body and their green bodied porcelain were ideal vehicles for Japanese inspired designs which were popular in the Victorian period. These often featured asymmetrical floral and bird designs.

In 1891 Duncan Watson Bishop and John Stonier created a new company trade mark BISTO, using the first letters of their surnames. This name was incorporated into the back stamp of the period - the Wand of Caduceus. In 1906 they were using an advertising slogan in the trade press ' The sun never sets on Bisto wares'.

In 1933, the company was taken over by George Jones & Sons. They continued to use the wand mark and also the mark of a bishop until 1939.


ITEM NUMBER: PFTP001030
PRICE: $185.00

BUY THIS ITEM

To purchase this item, please make note of the Item Number: PFTP001030 and contact us using our order form or call us at 1-416-535-3883.


Click Image to Enlarge




Featured Products

J & G MEAKIN FLOW BLUE ANTIQUE CHAMBER/THUNDER POT

J & G MEAKIN HANLEY ENGLAND ART NOUVEAU FLOW BLUE TRANSFERWARE ANTIQUE CHAMBER POT OR THUNDER POT...

U.S.A. Vintage Brass Powder Compact

U.S.A. Vintage Brass Powder Compact 3 1/4'' Length x 3 5/8'' Width, Circa 1940-1950

ENGLISH VINTAGE BRASS POWDER COMPACT ROUND

English Vintage Brass Powder Compact Round With Five Concentric Circles Design, Circa 1950-1960

Antique & Vintage Furniture

JACQUES & HAY ANTIQUE CANADIANA WALNUT VANITY DRESSER

This genuine Jacques & Hay Canadiana Eastlake style antique walnut dresser was manufactured during...

VINTAGE PINE CORNER DISPLAY CABINET [SOLD]

VINTAGE CORNER DISPLAY CABINET

This vintage pine corner display cabinet dates approximately 1970-1980.

Antique & Vintage Lighting

MILK GLASS WITH BLUE ROSES VINTAGE BOUDOIR TABLE LAMPS [SOLD]

This vintage pair of little boudoir table lamps is ideal for a country cottage theme. Fresh, lively...

PAIR OF VINTAGE GILDED AND ENAMEL SATIN GLASS TABLE LAMPS

This Vintage Pair of Gold Gilded and White Enamel Satin Glass Table Lamps is of West German origin...

© Passionforthepastantiques.com
1646 Queen St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6R 1B2
Phone:416-535-3883

Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Site Map

By accessing this site, or by using any of its features or services, you confirm your
agreement with and acceptance of the Terms of Service for this web site.